About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother's Day Mania-Whoops!

There are a lot of interesting things going on in the blog world on Wednesdays. I don't typically participate in Wordless Wednesday, primarily because I have too many words to say and can't shut up (hmm...that sounds eerily similar to Olivia...). This week, at My Little Life, Mother's Day Mania is going on. [Note to self: start learning these people's first names so you don't sound so impersonal!] When I saw the suggestion for today's post, I couldn't resist. Though I am actually cheating just a bit, because my biggest "whoopsie" with my kids happened last year and I wrote about it at that time. However, I think I had all of 5 readers at the time and the story really is worth sharing again. It's really irresponsible parenting at its best!
"Idea is...to share a mama "whoopsie"...a moment in time, you'd probably rather forget, but you'll share anyway, 'cuz you're a good sport...and you'll find that you aren't alone!"

Photobucket

For those of you who haven't already heard...enjoy a little story and laugh at our expense.

On April 30, 2009 I am sitting at work; it is just after 12pm. My cell phone rings. I recognize the phone number. It's coming from my house. We decided a few months prior to go ahead and add a land line for emergencies-up to now we just used our cell phones. That home phone did indeed come in handy and I am thankful for the decision we made to get it!

So I look at my phone and think that maybe Kris went home. And then I got this sinking feeling. Why would he have gone home, and why didn't he just call from his cell phone? Yeah...he didn't go home.

I answered the phone and to my surprise, I heard Katherine's voice. She said "Mommy, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you we had a half day today."

Now this could have been much worse. It wasn't but maybe 6 months ago we finally got extra house keys made and entrusted one to Katherine, in case for some reason they ever got off the bus before we got home. Between that and the house phone, we were fortunate to have even found out about it before I got home at my normal time!

What happened to the little half slip of paper they usually send home warning parents of the half day? Do they actually expect us, as parents, to read the kids folders EVERY day? Yes, well apparently they do. It was right there, on Abbey's folder. Wednesday, April 28th, half-day. I blame the children. :)

You see, at the beginning of the year, we got four rather large, magnetic calendars and I stuck every one of them on the fridge. These magnets showed all the half days and days off for the school year. Somehow, through the course of the school year, all of these magnets have disappeared thanks to said children. But let's be honest...I still wouldn't have known about the half day had the magnets NOT disappeared until after something like this happened!

Kris and I, obviously, are not the best at schedules and calendars and organization!! But the funny (and kind of sad part) is that Katherine knew us well enough to feel like SHE was responsible for reminding us there was a half day! They know us all too well and they know that if they don't tell us, we probably won't know.
THE MORAL OF THE STORY:
If you ever feel like a bad parent, just look to The Bishops. We've set the bar high (or low depending on how you see it) and surely your mistake can't top that. Don't even get me started on the time we forgot 2 week old Olivia in the van while we went to eat lunch.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, after reading this, I'm thankful my kids are not in school yet because I feel sure that this would happen to me as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I home schooled. Avoided that problem completely! Managed to experience most of the others on this blog hop though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally not cheating! Recycled posts are totally legit!

    And, OMG...forgot a kiddo in the van?! We recently forgot one at home...realized at the end of our long drive way. Well, not realized so much as "reminded" by our 8 year old..."WE FORGOT E.W!!!"

    Oops!

    Glad you joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! My girls get me the same way. I never remember to go through the folders. So my girls always let me know at the beginning of the week, then the night before, then that morning.

    you're so far from being a bad parent, shame on you for calling yourself such!

    ReplyDelete