About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

When I am down, I cook. Rather, I bake. Unless I am really in a depressed funk...then I don't do ANYTHING. I am also prone to bouts of sporadic baking when my kitchen is clean. So in addition to the cheeseburgers I grilled for dinner, I decided to go ahead and make a dessert too. I also took some frozen corn and heated it up, then put some butter and cream cheese in it. YUM! I THOUGHT about making a gluten/sugar-free dessert but quickly threw that idea aside. I opted for the rich, delicious Texas Sheet Cake, also known in my family as Chocolate Brownie Cake. And I thought I would share the recipe with you guys. Forgive the messy spatula! I forgot to take a picture before my family tore into the still warm cake and it was half gone before I remembered to get a shot of it. That's one of the great things about this cake...you can eat it while it's still warm!



Chocolate Brownie Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks butter
1 cup water
3 Tbsp cocoa
3 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix flour with sugar, salt and baking soda. In saucepan bring butter, water and cocoa to boil. Pour over flour and sugar mixture and mix well. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla. Add to other mixture. Bake in greased and floured cookie sheet/bar pan at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Start icing last 5 minutes cake is baking.

Icing

1 stick butter
3 Tbsp cocoa
6 Tbsp milk
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c pecans

Mix butter, cocoa, and milk in pan over low heat. Don't boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar, nuts, vanilla and mix well. Frost cake as soon as it comes out from the oven. Makes 24 large services or 48 party size squares.

3 comments:

  1. DROOL! That cake looks awesome! Eat a piece for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my you are making me really hungry. After looking at your cake, i have to make one with my little one later today. It will be really fun. I am your new follower. come visit me when you can at http://showmemama.blogspot.com and thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate on top of chocolate...my kind of dessert! I just wanted to let you know I have a few awards for you over at Between the Lines. My feelings will not be hurt if you don't do awards. No worries! Have a great day!

    www.betweenthelines-kel.com

    ReplyDelete