About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Sunday, June 20, 2010

For the dads in my life...

Mama M. is having a little contest to celebrate all the wonderful Father's out there. I was planning to write this post anyway, but decided I would link up and enter the contest while I was at it.
First and foremost, to my Dad. I am so thankful that God allowed me to be your child. I have so many good memories, but overall as I watch Abbey and Livvy twirl throughout the house in "pretty dresses" expressing their need to be princesses, I am grateful that you always made me feel like a princess. It's important to a little girl and I love you!!

To my husband and the father of my children:

I have so much to say I am not even sure where to begin. There are so many qualities you possess that make you an amazing father. It is not enough to just write a blog post to express how blessed I have been these last 9 1/2 years, exploring parenthood with you.

My favorite memory of you as you became a father for the first time was the look on your face as you gazed upon Katherine's tiny little form. Tears brimming in your eyes you looked from her to me and just kept repeating "She's so beautiful!" I cherish that memory! With each new birth, your absolute joy and amazement was incredible to witness and something I will never forget.

As the children grew, you remained passionate about being involved in their lives. Holding them, hugging them, kissing them, playing games with them, giving them complex algebra problems, and exasperating them as all men are naturally prone to do. YOU are a present father. A constant in their lives. A place of strength and comfort and safety. Though they don't see it now, when they have their own children, I know that they will look back and be amazed at your dedication, commitment and love. And they will realize how truly blessed they were. Our girls will look for men who will embody all the qualities you possess. Our son will grow up to be a loving and kind man, who adores his children. Because of your example.

You are no less passionate now about fatherhood than you were almost 10 years again when this journey began. The depth of your love for your children (and me!) is the greatest example of God's own love that I have ever witnessed. I count myself blessed that you have shown me firsthand what it means to be loved unconditionally, and that you extend this same love to our children.

You amaze me every day and if you don't already know it, your children adore you. You love them without abandon and it is one of the greatest gifts you could give them. Never, EVER underestimate your value or the impact you have in their lives. I pray that our girls will one day choose to love a man like you; one who will cherish them, build them up and love them unconditionally, through the good times and the bad. I pray that our son learns how to love his future wife (and some day children) as you have loved all of us.

We are blessed beyond measure, having you in our lives. I do not tell you that nearly enough. I hope that you know how deeply we all love you and appreciate everything that you do for us. It is because of you and your love for us that we can even begin to understand how deeply God loves us.

From the bottom of my heart, I love you.

I almost forgot...in honor of Father's Day, here is our very own "Godly singer" Abigail singing about her name, which means "Father's Joy".

4 comments:

  1. Visiting from Mama M's...

    What a sweet post. I can feel your emotions pouring out as I read. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you babe. Today was a very good day. I am a lucky man to be surrounded by this family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...he commented!! What an amazing man you have!! And that song?! What a doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower. Please follow me back at www.jessielynnsmith.com

    Thanks!
    <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete