About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Homework-This is why I don't homeschool

Here are some pictures of my baby from last night's asthma episode:



Let's move on to HOMEWORK and why I could never homeschool:

Reason #1
I have NO patience!

Reason #2
There's that whole full-time job thing.

Reason #3
Homework...

I have NO idea how to even do second and third grade work, let alone teach my kids how to do it! And let's not even start talking about Math or Science.

Katherine had a project where she had to study the phases of the moon. I had no idea there were phases of the moon. Don't get me wrong...now that I think about it, it makes sense. But I didn't know how many there were, let alone what they were called. So, I was helping my 9 year old look up the most recent phases of the moon and she is the one explaining to me what they look like. I had to Google 'phases of the moon' to really figure out what her project was all about and what she was supposed to be doing.


Now, on to my 7 year old's homework. I am still not sure I understand his homework. And yet, as he and I were trying to figure it out, Katherine is looking over my shoulder explaining it to him. Apparently he was supposed to color in the dark part of the earth?? What? And then, he was supposed to match the location of the person to the time of day. I kinda get the midnight and morning. The other two though...I just can't wrap my head around it.


So there you have it. Maybe I'm the only person out there who can't decipher 2nd grade homework!

Seeing as how I have mentioned my other three kids above, in all fairness to Abbey I thought I would at least share something about her too. And with that funny girl, there is ALWAYS something to share. My kids like my cooking. Most people do...which of course makes me feel great. Why wouldn't it? Abbey told me tonight that I should work at a restaurant because she loves my cooking. She then went on to pay me perhaps the greatest compliment one can hope to receive. She told me that my cooking was better than Steak 'n Shake fries!!! Trust me, you might not enjoy Steak 'n Shake fries, but that is the highest compliment one of my kids can give me with regards to my cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Both "full" and "new" are phases (states) of the moon as seen from the Earth. The inbetweens are what I get mixed up; if the moon is "waxing" it is getting bigger--that is, heading towards full. If it's "waning", it's past full and you're seeing less of it night by night until it's "new" (when you don't see it at all). It's just how much is reflecting the sun at the time.

    What's really missed up looking is a "gibbous" moon--teeny tiny little sliver of moon right before or after a new moon.

    Don't worry--we didn't have to learn that stuff in 2nd grade, either, so no wonder you don't remember it.

    I don't homeschool, but it sounds like it'd be fun along with the challenge; you have a set of things the state says your child has to know; and there's things you can teach them on the side. The drawback is that homeschooled children tend not to get those social skills kids learn in school--working with different children, working in groups, etc. Not all, but some of them, anyway.

    Good luck with the homework! I always liked science as a young'un. :)

    And hope the little one feels better. Asthma SUCKS (my mom had it)

    Scratch

    ReplyDelete