About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Date Night

Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, Kris and I were able to go out on a date tonight. I'd like to say that we have just really been wanting and planning a night away. I'd like to say that we have saved up money so that we could just go and have a fun night on the town. Completely unrelated, I'd also like to say I can eat whatever I want and not gain a single pound, but I wouldn't want to disappoint my readers with lies.

Fact#1:

We had a coupon for $21 to Ameristar a local establishment that was going to expire on Thursday. Coupons for under $10 hardly seem worth the trip and time, considering we also have to find a babysitter. HOWEVER...can you really blame us for not wanting to throw away $21??

Fact #2:

We had a free movie ticket that my frugal husband we just couldn't let go to waste.

Fact #3:

I will NEVER be able to eat anything I want without the fear of gaining weight. My body just refuses to cooperate!

We decided to give "Date Night" a chance. Besides the fact that we had been wanting to see this movie and friends told us it was good, it seemed an appropriate movie for our own date night.


I'm annoyed that this video is cut off on my blog. Here is the link if you want to see the actual trailer.

I have mixed feelings about the movie. There was some bad language throughout the movie but what really upset me was a very long scene in a strip club. It wasn't sexual, not really. It wasn't even incredibly seductive or indecent per say. But any amount of inappropriate dress or sexual scenes just makes me downright angry. It doesn't make the movies better. At least not for me. It just makes me mad. That scene aside, however, I actually really loved the movie. I am 99% convinced that I have never seen a more accurate portrayal of what marriage looks like after kids. While watching this movie, I felt as if someone had been watching the interaction between Kris and I over the last 10 years!

The opening scene was very close to what the weekends are like in our home. The parents are lying in bed, asleep. One kid comes in begging to be fed breakfast (that's our Olivia), while another kid comes in jumping up and down on the parents in the bed (that's pretty much ANY kid of ours). You hear the father (Steve Carrell) whisper to the mother (Tina Fey) "Don't move." As in, "if they don't see you move maybe they'll go away!" And as the kids leave the room, the parents look at the clock and it isn't even 5am! You've no doubt known mornings like that too!


2 comments:

  1. I thought that they had been following us around and taking notes on our lives....just from the previews. LOL. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have BEGGED Matthew to take me to see it. I hope that he takes me soon. We need a date night. Although, I'm not holding my breath that it will be any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I think you guys will like the movie. My husband enjoyed it too...so it's not just this boring chick flick (from a guy's perspective).

    ReplyDelete