About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Thursday, June 18, 2009

COMPLACENCY

God has been working on my heart for a long time. Sometimes I let him. Sometimes I get in the way. MOST of the time I get in the way. But there are moments when he reclaims what is rightly his. In those moments, I see myself as what I really am: a sinner. And when I find myself humbled and broken before the Lord, I realize that I am not JUST a sinner. God shows me over and over again that I am a sinner saved by Grace. I've been living a life of complacency for the last few years. I've had moments here and there where I get it right, but mostly I've been content to just live in complacency. Here are some definitions of complacency, just so that we're clear on what I mean:

*the feeling you have when you are satisfied with yourself
*a feeling of contented self-satisfaction, especially when unaware of upcoming trouble
*complacent - contented to a fault with oneself or one's actions
*complacent - Smug and uncritically satisfied with oneself or one's achievements

There was also one that said "complacent - (2009) Associate Producer" but I don't think that is what I am trying to say! :)

Complacency was not looked kindly upon in the Bible. In Revelation 3:15-22, there is a church that has been lukewarm, or living in complacency. This is how God feels about it, according to the New Living Translation:

"15 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. 19 I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.
20 “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. 21 Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.
22 “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.” Found at http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation%203:14-22;&version=51;

That's pretty serious! That should scare us. All of us who sit on the sidelines, complacent, just waiting. Just procrastinating and saying "I'll start over again tomorrow." Tomorrow never comes. Cliche, but true. I'm tired of watching life pass me by. I'm tired of being complacent. I'm sick of the way I feel when I am not giving 100% when it comes to my relationship with the Lord. According to Revelation, God would rather I give 0% than 50%. That's how dangerous it is, to be complacent.

Switchfoot has a song called "You". It has and will always give me hope and remind me of what 'it' is all about. You can listen to the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSl27pKj6k

Here are the lyrics. They are very powerful.

There's always something
In the way
There's always something
Getting through
But it's not me
it's You

Sometime's ignorance
Rings true
But hope is not in
What I know
Not in me
It's in You

It's all I know

And I find peace
When I'm confused
I find hope when
I'm let down
Not in me
But in You

I hope to lose myself
For good
I hope to find it in the end
Not in me
It's You
It's all I know

No comments:

Post a Comment