About Me

My photo
I like to think of myself as the 'crazy mom of four'. I'm 31 years old and I love my life, my kids, my husband and my God. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Eliot

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Golden Compass

I have started reading "The Golden Compass". It is...interesting. It is the first book in a trilogy called "His Dark Materials"-I didn't realize this until I bought the book for Kris at Christmas time. Kris LOVED "The Golden Compass" and is already reading quickly through the second book. I am in chapter 5 and not sure yet what I think. I'm not really interested in the Atheist issues this book supposedly presents. Knowing me, I wouldn't 'see' them anyway. In a strictly literary aspect, the author is very good. I like the style of writing and the story is interesting, but I am not drawn in yet to where I can't put the book down. I can put the book down, but I still desire to pick it back up again, so I will continue reading it.


As far as audio books go, I am currently listening to "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis. while I drive to and from work. It is the fourth book (chronologically in Narnia anyway) in The Chronicles of Narnia and it is by far my favorite in the series at this point. As a kid, I never read beyond "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" so these are new books to me. I suppose there is a very sharp contrast between the book I am reading and the book I am listening to, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment